Sunday, August 23, 2009

Preparing For My Fall Crops

Collecting and Storing Seeds
The cost of seeds can add up quickly, even if you’re gardening in a small space. Save money on next year’s garden by collecting and storing this year’s seeds.

Fall Vegetable Garden
If you can’t bear to see the season come to an end, plant a fall vegetable garden. As your garden starts to wind down, plant a variety of cold weather crops in August that you can begin harvesting in September through November. There are many vegetables that are cold hardy, including Asian greens, lettuces, cabbage, and arugula.


In getting a jump on my fall garden I purchased the following seeds from Seed Savers Exchange.

I chose some interesting seeds, mostly for experimental purposes: Red Malabar Spinach, Cherry Roma Tomatoes and Rossa Bianca Eggplant.


I can hardly wait to get my fall garden started. Here are highlights from my summer garden.










4 comments:

Dianne said...

Al,

These are great things to plant for the fall. Hopefully, Nathan will try some of your ideas. You did an excellent job on the blog. Keep up the good work,

Dianne

Trina said...

I'm going purchase my take home basket tomorrow. Take home basket meaning, the basket that will hold the produce I take back to my home.

Unknown said...

Love the blog! It is my dream to have a big garden, when I have a real backyard. :)

Linda said...

Congratulations! I have an award for you!